Anatomy & Physiology:
The “Gateway” Course
Across the nation, nearly one third of all students who attempt Anatomy and Physiology (A&P) will not complete the course, or their program. This is why A&P is often considered a “Gateway” course.
For many students the gate seems shut as a result of:
- not having the prerequisites needed for success
- inability to fully interact with and synthesize core concepts
- not being able to find or adapt the “hidden curriculum”
- missing academic skills to be an effective student
Now more than ever, students are looking for help unlocking their future in A&P and allied health. Integrated General Biology and Skills for Success in Science (IGB3S) hands over the key.
Integrated General Biology
Skills for Success in Science
The “Keys” to Unlocking the Future
Integrated General Biology and Skills for Success in Science (IGB3S) is an integrated course that prepares students for the journey to A&P or other allied health care programs. The course keys to success:
- reduce the number of prerequisite courses required
- make traditionally difficult content attainable
- build on prior knowledge via the Socratic method
- increase individual confidence through creation of cohorts
- reduce anxiety for students by addressing the hidden curriculum
Because IGB3S is integrated and contextualized, it weaves together content to create an interconnected framework that helps students succeed in school and successfully graduate into the workplace.
Students completing IGB3S are almost 10% more likely to persist through their programs while outperforming other students by a full a letter grade.
Struggling students become good students.
Good students become great students!
What IGB3S Stands For
More than a study of Biology, IGB3S is an integration of Math, Chemistry, and Biology that builds, and in many cases rebuilds, student competency and confidence. Students completing this course experience a level of success that propels them scholastically, professionally, and interpersonally.
As a college-level course, IGB3S develops students who are able to to think critically, work with others professionally, eager to advance within their program, and ultimately mature into confident students that are able to overcome challenges.
As a high school biology course with dual credit credentials, IGB3S integrates and contextualizes the foundational concepts students need to be successful as they progress academically or into the allied health care workforce.
What IGB3S Delivers
Redefining a foundational core experience using Biology to promote subject matter expertise and long-term academic success by fostering personal growth and achievement.
- Fully customizable curriculum with online content
- Combines multiple prerequisites into a single integrated course
- Proven increases in persistence and retention
- Contains the NCRC/ACT WorkKeys credential
- College Credit Plus/Dual Enrollment eligible (“CCP/DE”)
Delivering turn-key facilitation for instructors that leads to application and mastery of core concepts needed for advancement.
- Experiential pedagogy engages active learning
- Active learning and lab work builds lasting cohorts
- Integrated course reduces credit hours to completion
- Chance to earn a stackable career credential
- Earn college credit while in high school
Proven pedagogy fully supported with teaching materials and scripts enables instructors to focus on delivery, not preparation.
- Socratic methodology underpins the instructional approach
- Inquiry-based and active learning materials promote deeper understanding
- Contextualized content for allied health builds professional aptitude
- Integrated themes with spiraling concepts reinforces learning
- Student accountability fosters social engagement and interpersonal skills
- Hidden curriculum addressed to establish the confidence needed to complete the program
The Pedagogy Opens the Gate…
Socratic methods, cooperative learning, cohort building and the EFFECTIVE© lesson plan are the foundation of the pedagogy in all parts of the Biology 100 “Integrated General Biology and Skills for Success in Science – IGB3S” course.
The IGB3S course package uses educational theories that maximize content delivery. Using an integrated, contextualized approach with a spiraling curriculum, key concepts in Math, Biochemistry, and Biology are reinforced and interwoven throughout each chapter.
The kinesthetic-oriented, inquiry-based laboratory sessions and active learning activities create a cohort-mentality among students. This means students become active-learners and are vested in learning the material as much as they are in helping each other succeed.
Success no matter
how it’s measured
Since inception in 2012, IGB3S has delivered consistent results every year. Students taking the course are 10% more likely to persist through their programs and out-perform other students by a full letter grade.
Struggling students become good students.
Good students become great students.
Course training for instructors is available and often covered by your institution’s grant funds.